Tuesday 5 May 2009

The Beginning

There i was, standing in front at the door of the mosque, it stood open perhaps symbolically, as if to ask ''do you dare?Do you dare to be among the brave and freeminded?'' There, before me was my future, a new way of life under a very new set of rules. Back behind me that old way of life, the way of life that had become mystifying to, the way of life i become disaffected towards through the years. My head filled with thoughts, good and bad, was i finally about to find my place? What if i'm making a mistake?, what if this doesn't work out for me? Finally, the one big, inevitable question slipped into my head during the flashpoint of uncertainty, one that will surely befall all potential and new Muslims: ''do you really believe in all that kinda stuff''? After a small pause i answered to myself resiliently: ''yes i do''.

Thinking back to all that went before, the bad times and the better times, accepting the sacrifices i'd have to take, the lifestyle changes i'd have to make. I accepted them because i knew it was for the best, and that this was the will of Allah, his call clear and his timing most wise. I'd been considering adopting Islam for months beforehand, and spent time learning about it, the more i learnt, the more sense it made, me and my potential religion agreed on so many principles, to me it seemed not the least outdated, it's doctrine and beliefs clear and simple, and, most of all, something i believed in. Indeed, Allah's timing was wise, as four days before converting, my sister, Tiana was born. With my older brother being 22, and my older sister being 21, and my younger sister being just 8, the chances were that, at just seventeen years old, i'd be the only one of my new sisters siblings that will be active and present in her growing years. I realised that there's a good chance that Allah has shown me the light and saved me from the fate of my then fellow non-believers and in exchange gave to me a responsibility towards my sister. All that went before, it all comes down to this day.

I stepped inside the small prayer room, where young children gathered to learn from the Quran, across from them was the Imam along with a handful of other community elders, they'd been waiting for me. They explained a few formalities before the imam outstretched his right hand, telling me to take it, at this moment, on the 27th of December 2008, i became a Muslim, by proclaiming ''ašhadu ʾal lā ilāha illa l-Lāh, wa ʾašhadu ʾanna muḥammadar rasūlu l-Lāh''.

It's now been some fivemonths since that day, and i haven't looked back since. The changes i've made to my life have slowly blended into normality and the initial shockwaves caused by me reverting to Islam have faded. So what am i doing here? There's alot i can do here by sharing my experiences and posting what will hopefully be helpful and informative blogs for Muslims and non-Muslims. My page is a little empty right now because i'm new here, and hardly know how to use this this at the moment, it'll come with time i'm sure, but be sure to leave comments on my upcoming posts, opinions and debate is welcome.

3 comments:

HF said...

As salaamu alaykum! Allahu akbar!
I just smiled all the way through the post reading ur conversion story Masha'allah. Hope to read more from you.And aww mabrook on your sister's birth. Im wondering now how did ur family react to ur choice. Insha'allah khayr I pray Allah guides the rest of ur family to Islam as well. Ameen. take care!

Random Muslima said...

Assalamu alaykum

may Allah make you among the succesful in this life and in the hereafter.
Just remember not to despair ever if the world around you does not change for better (after all we know that gneration after generation even our ummah is worse). Changing yours does the favor to many anyway, bi ithnillah.

A said...

Assalaamu 'alaykum,

Alhamdulillah for you're conversion/reversion. I just like to say welcome to the deen and ummah! :)

May Allah (swt) make you among those who are steadfast in this deen ameen!!